Friday, August 17, 2007

Define Pro-Life

This is a topic which is obviously very sensitive, but after something that happened to me today personally, I feel I need to address it. I was confronted today by someone who blatantly asked me whether if I was pro-life, it was an out of the blue question and an awful way to start a conversation, but I answered nonetheless. I told this person, I am pro-choice. He immediately jumped on me and called me "anti-life". After being taken a little back by his response, I quickly said, no I'm not anti-life, I'm just not what people like to define as "pro-life".

These same people who will try to force into your head about being pro-life, are mostly hypocrites. I say this because it is those same "holier-than-thou" people who support this War, which leads to unnecessary American deaths. These same people will eat you alive if you mention gun-control, which would reduce shootings, and hence lead to less deaths. And what about when a mother faces death if an abortion does not occur? I am anti-war, I am pro-gun control, and when it comes to abortion, I firmly believe in a woman's right to choose. The Government has no right to tell a woman how to live with her on body.

At the same time, please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone should just go get an abortion to solve all their problems. Prevention is the best policy, but for reasons, mainly health, abortion needs to remain legal. I ask those who use "pro-life" to look more carefully at their beliefs, because then I think they would find the true people who stand up for life, are those who are "pro-choice".

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Abortion is legal in the United States and as a result a woman has a right to choose. Conservatives use the issue to divide the people, especially politicians. They are looking for votes. If Republicans were honest they would seek a constitution ammendent to overturn Roe Vs. Wade. There have been 3 republican presidents since that land mark decision, Ronald Reagan and the two Bushes who used abortion to seeks votes. Why did they not seek a constitution ammendment if they were sincere. The answer is they were just looking for votes.