Thursday, August 9, 2007

I am woman....hear me roar!(or not)

Hillary Clinton is the first woman to have an actual shot at winning the United States Presidency. Many thought she would be running as the ultimate feminist, courting the woman vote. However, that has not been the case at all. She is proving to be popular with a woman, while still appearing to men. I think she summed it up best when she said, "I'm running as a woman, but not because I am a woman." But why is the question being asked, "Is Hillary feminine enough?" The question itself is up to interpretation, what is feminine? Can't someone who is a strong, intelligent, and ambitious still be feminine. The question is actually degrading to women. Its somehow telling women they can't be strong, that they can't be outspoken, that they always have to play the quiet, ditsy blonde. I might not be a woman, but I would have to assume a mother would want her daughter to be Hillary Clinton-like, that is a strong, powerful woman. Its not like Hillary is hiding the fact that she's a woman. The best sound-bite coming out of the 8/7 AFL-CIO forum was Hillary saying, "If you want someone to take on the right-wing machine.....I'm your girl." And indeed if democrats want someone who has experience dealing with the slime slinging right wing machine, she is their girl. No one in the history of politics has had to take so much crap from the "holy-then-thou" base of the Republican Party than Hillary an Bill Clinton.

No comments :