Monday, August 13, 2007

A second place finish--just what Huckabee needed

Wow, I must say I'm a little surprised. When I originally wrote my analysis of the Iowa Straw Poll, I said that Huckabee, even though he came in second, was still far from Romney, who nearly received double the votes, and may not get the momentum a closer finish to Romney would have given him. But boy was I dead wrong. Huckabee has capitalized on his win and is quickly gaining momentum.

The attention the media has given to Huckabee has really amazed me. He is on the front-page of just about every political website. He has given interviews with all the cable news channels, including a very good interview on Morning Joe this morning, where he disclosed a very interesting piece of information. That piece of info led me to see why Huckabee was so excited and why his second place victory energized his campaign. While Romney spent anywhere from $4-5 million on the Straw Poll, Huckabee only spend $90,000. Do the math: Huckaebee got half the votes Romney did, but didn't spend close to half the money Romney did. Its actually pretty damn impressive that Huckabee has the amount of support he does with so little money. If this buzz about Huckabee continues and he does well in the next debate, I could actually see Huckabee break into the front-tier and get some big donations. While I might not like his ideas or principals, I must say there is something refreshing about Huckabee, he does appear to be the most approachable guy on the Republican side. I might have wrote the governor off to soon, as I'm starting to see big things for Huckabee.

No comments :